Sunday, December 23, 2012

Marathon Training. Take 2.

This week marks the start of another marathon training cycle, something that I didn't think that I would be taking up again so soon. Then again, life sometimes turns out differently than planned. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, I will be embarking on what is known as the Pfitz 12/55 training plan. It's basically a twelve week torture devise combination of long runs, speedwork, and carefully paced tempo runs that will have a highest planned week of 55 miles, something which will hopefully result in an optimal marathon result in March. Tomorrow is the first day, but there will be no running involved - I will be attending a spin class at 6:45am. Since it's Christmas Eve, I wouldn't be surprised if the only two people to show up were the instructor and myself!

In other news, NYRR finally reached a resolution regarding the cancellation of NYCM 2012. Basically, all entrants have the option of either 1) receiving a refund for 2012 or 2) receiving guaranteed entry to one of the following races: 2013 NYCH or NYCM, 2014 NYCM, or 2015 NYCM. They would have to pay the entry fee again. 

However, everyone who completed the 9+1 for 2013, like myself, already have guaranteed entry to the 2013 marathon, so we have more options to choose from. I emailed NYRR, and they confirmed that if we did the 9+1, we can get the refund and still get guaranteed entry for 2013. So hopefully, if all goes well, I will get a second chance to do my first NYCM this coming November. Since I don't plan on doing NYCM in 2014 or 2015, I will happily take the refund offered. 

While I am very pleased with this resolution, NYRR has been dropping the ball this past year, and I find myself gravitating towards NYCRuns more and more, mainly because they are better communicators, and the fact that I've been gravitating towards smaller sized races. For the first time, I am currently registered for more NYCRuns races than I am for NYRR ones. However, NYRR is the organization that helped me get into running, and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, so I will give them another year of membership to get their collective act together. 

That's all for now. Let the Games Begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment