Monday, February 18, 2013

Injury Update & Taking a Chance

It's been one month and one day since my last run - not that I'm keeping track or anything - but thankfully, things have been looking up. 

Although I miss running a lot, not training for a marathon has given me time to focus more on other things that matter to me, such as my music. I signed up for a chamber music program through work, and I recently sent in an audition tape to play in an orchestra through the same music initiative. The orchestra is probably a long shot considering that the flute is probably the most popular instrument out there, but never say never. 

Meanwhile, I've been going to physical therapy twice a week, and according to my PT, I am almost at the point of being able to do agility exercises. I'm not exactly sure what this entails but I do know that once I can do these, I can get into a run-walk program. While I hope to start running again in time to do a 5K I signed up for at the beginning of March, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't. After all, I have a new goal to work towards. 

Two years ago, I did my first half marathon in Brooklyn. After two years in a row of doing this race, I did not think that I would want to do it again. However, once I found out that registration was approaching, I reconsidered my options. Wouldn't it be amazing if my first half marathon would also be my redemption race? 

I was a little worried about signing up since I hadn't started running again yet, but after consulting a few running friends that I trusted, I decided to go for it. I would have loved to wait until next month to decide, but considering the race sold out in seven hours, that wasn't exactly an option. 

If I'm running by mid-March, I will have about two months to get some training in. While I know that I will definitely not PR, just finishing a half marathon will be a huge turning point both physically and mentally for me. Perhaps maybe I will be able to get to the starting line of a marathon after all. 

1 comment: