Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Look Who's (Finally) Running Again!

Confession Time: I technically wasn't cleared to run when I first got onto the treadmill this past Saturday.....

However, I had a good reason for trying it out again. As I finished my 30 minute workout on the eliptical, I realized that I was scheduled to run a 5K the next weekend. Although my PT was tentatively on board with this, I didn't want to run for the very first time at a race. 

Therefore, I designed an experiment-of-one for myself. If I wasn't able to run a mile without pain, then the 5K would be completely out of the question. I set the treadmill to a much slower pace than I normally ran, then proceeded to nervously run on it. Before I knew it, I was done with my mile, and felt like I could have kept going, but instead, I exercised restraint and stopped. 

Two days later, I hit the two mile mark on the treadmill and felt just as good. Remember when I said that I was too young to fly by myself? Apparently, I look suspiciously young to be at a gym at seven in the morning. When I was doing my hamstring stretches, one of the trainers felt like he had to ask me how old I was, and when I asked him to guess, he said 15/16. A small part of me was offended, but I was more amused than anything else. 

When I went to my PT on Tuesday, I explained what happened, and why I decided to try running again. I expected him to be annoyed with me, but to my pleasant surprise, he wasn't, and even stated that my hamstring was still getting better. He even agreed to watch me run for a few minutes to see whether there's an underlying mechanical issue that could have caused the hamstring problem. 

I ran another two miles this morning, and if I am able to get through one more run pain free, I think I'll be as ready as I possibly can be for the 5K this weekend. Finally, here is a sneak peek at what spectators will see when I'm running this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment